It’s beginning to feel a lot like spring, even though there’s still snow on the ground. But hey! Rhubarb is here. Free form galettes are easy with well-made dough.
Recipe, by Laylita
Sweet tart dough:
1 ½ cups of all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
A pinch of salt
1 stick of butter (4 ounces), cut into small pieces
2-3 tablespoons cold water
(for crust) 1 egg, whisked to be used as egg wash
(for crust) 1-2 tablespoons of sugar to sprinkle on crust
4 cups of diced rhubarb, about 10 oz or 2-3 stalks
½ cup white, granulated sugar
1 tablespoons lemon juice
4 tablespoons corn starch
- Put the diced rhubarb in a medium bowl, add the lemon juice, sugar, and corn starch. Mix well and let rest for at least 30 minutes, stirring every once in a while.
- Combine the flour, sugar and salt in a food processor and mix.
- Add the butter pieces, in batches, and pulse until mixed.
- Add the egg and the water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until clumps of dough start to form.
- Remove the dough from the food processor and knead it gently.
- Mold the dough into a flattened thick disc, and chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- On a floured sheet of wax paper, roll out the dough into a thin sheet that is a couple inches larger than the tart pan you plan to use – it’s okay if it extends beyond the edges of sheet of wax paper
- Carefully transfer the rolled out tart dough onto a flat baking pan lined with parchment paper.
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer the rhubarb filling to the center of tart. Try to avoid adding any of the liquid at this moment, but save it for later. Leave the outer 2 to 4 inches of tart dough free of any fruit filling. Next fold the edges of the tart dough over the filling, it won’t cover the entire filling and is mainly meant to contain and keep the filling inside.
- Refrigerate the rustic tart for at least 30 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven to 400F.
- Brush the edges with the egg wash and sprinkle with some sugar. At this point, you can also use a regular spoon to add the liquid from the fruit filling back into the tart. Place the tart in the pre-heated oven.
- Bake the tart for about 35 minutes or until the crust is golden.